The following guidelines shall apply to reimbursement for travel and subsistence expenses incurred by those authorized to travel on IUBMB business, except for members of the Executive Committee travelling to an Executive Committee Meeting. These guidelines are based on those for travel at ICSU expense.
- Rail: ordinary first class rate with sleeper for overnight trips.
- Air: tourist or economy class fare using the most direct route (see Note 1).
- Travel to and from airport (see Note 2): the cost of travel to and from the airport by public transport or taxi.
- Road: $US 0.30 per kilometer if no convenient rail/air connections are available.
The cost of travel insurance will also be reimbursed.
- Reimbursement of subsistence for travel involving more than one overnight stay will normally be via a per diem allowance, based on the official United Nations rates, which are revised four times a year. These rates may be modified, on the decision of the Treasurer, taking into consideration special local arrangements. For a single overnight stay the actual cost of accommodation, meals and sundries up to the UN per diem rate will be reimbursed. Where travel does not include an overnight stay, the actual cost of meals and sundries up to the UN rate less the room rate (see Note 3) will be reimbursed.
- The Treasurer should be consulted or informed prior to a member of the Executive Committee undertaking travel for which he or she will claim travel expenses other than to a meeting of the Executive Committee.
- Note 1: When an Apex ticket can be obtained without extensive shopping around, with little or no restrictions or even inconvenience to the traveller, a member of the Executive Committee should consider making use of this possibility.
It is not necessary to travel Club or Business class for a fully flexible ticket. A standard Economy Fare offers this. The maximum reimbursement will be the lowest unrestricted fare.
- Note 2: Local transport, including taxis, within the city where the meeting is held, are included in the per diem.
- Note 3: The room rate, as percentage of the per diem, is included in the list of official United Nations per diem rates.
The following travel guidelines apply only to the reimbursement for air travel by EC members attending EC meetings. All other air travel by EC members is to be reimbursed according to "A".
- All reimbursement for surface travel and subsistence will be according to A, regardless of the purpose of the journey.
- For travel by air, the maximum reimbursement will be the lowest cost unrestricted fare for the most direct route. However, for nonstop journeys of 8 hours or more, the use of the lowest cost business class fare is optional.