The IUBMB is engaged in variety of activities. For details follow the links to the left, and above (for Publications):
- Every three years, the world's biochemists come together at the IUBMB International Congress of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. Travel awards and a special two-day pre-Congress programme for young scientists, called Young Scientists Program (YSP) is a special feature attached to this event.
- IUBMB Conferences take place in the years between IUBMB Congresses. They enhance the visibility of IUBMB in regions of significant or major biochemical activity and present opportunities for review of advances in a limited number of topic areas. A new activity is the IUBMB Special Meeting, a more focused meeting than the conference type.
- IUBMB sponsors international Symposia and Workshops worldwide on focused topics.
- IUBMB sponsors Educational Workshops and holds or sponsors Symposia on Education at regional biochemical meetings around the world.
- The Wood-Whelan Fellowships provide short-term fellowships for younger biochemists to travel to other laboratories to undertake research that cannot be done in their own laboratories.
- Reaching individual biochemists is also the purpose of another very important function of the IUBMB, that of publishing journals containing news, reviews, information, original research and also maps, animaps and nomenclature.
- At IUBMB Congresses several endowed Lectures feature prominently in the programme and an IUBMB Plenary Lecture is delivered at each Congress of FASBMB, FAOBMB, and PABMB and at each annual Congress of FEBS.
- The IUBMB Jubilee Lectures have been established to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the first International Congress of Biochemistry held in Cambridge, UK in 1949, at which steps were taken that led to formation of IUB (IUBMB since 1991)